Surprise someone you love or treat yourself with a sweet breakfast featuring Chocolate Chip Nutella French toast prepared on a flat-top griddle. This decadent recipe can also be prepared on an indoor griddle or in a cast iron pan on the stovetop.
After I gave my husband a Blackstone griddle for his birthday, he’s been spoiling us with delicious breakfasts and other grilled meals. This Nutella French toast, made with chocolate chip brioche bread, is one of my favorites.
It’s oozing with hazelnut, chocolately goodness!
While Nutella stuffed french toast can be served any time of year, this recipe is a great choice for Valentine’s Day, Easter, Christmas morning or another special occasion. It’s a sweet treat — like having dessert for breakfast!
We always this stuffed French toast on our Blackstone — even in the winter.
But you can also prepare this recipe indoors, on a griddle pan, indoor griddle or a cast iron skillet.
You can scroll to the end of this post for the full recipe and ingredient list. But you may want to keep reading for more tips on how to make the perfect chocolate chip Nutella French toast.
This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. If you make a purchase based on my referral, I earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.
TO MAKE Nutella Stuffed French Toast, YOU WILL NEED:
- A Blackstone Griddle, flattop grill, cast iron skillet, indoor griddle or another grill or griddle pan.
- Shallow casserole dish
- heat resistant spatula
- Toaster or baking pan for toasting the bread
- Chocolate chip bread -We purchased the chocolate chip brioche bread at Aldi, but most grocery stores or bakeries should stock something similar. Be sure you use a loaf-style bread, not a coffee cake or dessert bread that will crumble when you dip it in the custard. It’s also helpful to use day-old, dried or toasted bread so it doesn’t fall apart when dipped.
- Nutella – The chocolate hazelnut spread is a key ingredient; I recommend using the brand name version rather than generics.
- Eggs – You’ll combine these with milk to create a custard mixture for dipping the bread. If you prefer an eggier French toast, you can add more eggs than I have in the recipe.
- Milk – For a creamier custard, use whole milk (or a combination of half-and-half and whole milk), but you can also use lower-fat varieties.
- Vanilla – Choose a high-quality pure vanilla extract or make your own.
- Butter – You’ll need butter to fry the French toast on the griddle. I prefer to use unsalted butter.
- Powdered Sugar – Use this instead of syrup when serving the stuffed Nutella toast.
- Chocolate Chips – Use these for garnish and an extra bit of decadence.
HOW TO Make Chocolate Chip Nutella French Toast
- Whisk together the milk, eggs and vanilla in a shallow glass casserole dish.
- If your bread is fresh and soft, I recommend toasting it to a light golden brown. This will ensure it doesn’t fall apart in the custard mixture.
- Spread a generous amount of Nutella on a slice of bread, then top it with another slice of chocolate chip brioche.
- Once you’ve made all your Nutella sandwiches, dip them into the custard mixture, turning so each side of the bread is coated.
- Transfer immediately to a preheated, buttered griddle and cook for a few minutes on each side, until lightly browned.
- Serve dusted with powdered sugar and chocolate chips. This breakfast is so rich, we usually cut each Nutella French toast sandwich in half, so we end up with 8 servings instead of four.
Frequently asked questions
Do I have to have a Blackstone griddle to make this recipe?
You do not have to have a Blackstone flat-top griddle to make this recipe. But I highly recommend getting one if you like to camp, host outdoor cookouts or if you love burgers, breakfast, stir fries, hibachi and diner-style food.
This French toast recipe can be prepared on an indoor griddle, a cast-iron skillet, griddle pan or really any pan that you would use for frying eggs. Cook over medium-high heat as directed in the recipe.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
French toast can be reheated or kept warm in an oven, at low heat, on a baking sheet.
To save time in the morning, you can prepare the custard mixture the night before and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
You can also prepare the Nutella sandwiches ahead of time and store them in an airtight container. But be mindful that the bread may get slightly soggy from the spread.
What if I can’t find chocolate chip brioche bread?
If you can’t find chocolate chip brioche bread, you can substitute a plain brioche loaf or a hearty loaf bread.
MORE Sweet Breakfast RECIPES
- Sweet Breakfast Street Tacos with Nutella
- 20 Delicious Crepe Recipes
- Maple Nut Goodie Toast & 30+ Quick Breakfast Recipes
- Fruity Tea Loaf
- White Chocolate Cherry Muffins
If you try Chocolate Chip Nutella French Toast or any recipe on Atta Girl Says, please come back and share your 5-star rating in the comments below! I appreciate it, and my readers do, too!
Chocolate chip brioche bread stuffed with creamy, chocolately Nutella spread, fried golden brown and garnished with powdered sugar
- 8 slices chocolate chip brioche bread
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- powdered sugar
- chocolate chips
Use day-old or dry bread or toast slices until light golden brown.
In a shallow casserole or baking dish, whisk together milk, eggs and vanilla.
Spread Nutella on four slices of bread, then top with the remaining slices to create a sandwich.
Preheat griddle or pan over medium-high and melt the butter.
Dip bread into the custard mixture, flipping to coat each side.
Transfer the custard-dipped bread onto the hot griddle and cook each side for about 3 minutes, until browned and cooked through.
Remove from griddle and serve immediately or keep warm on a baking sheet in the oven.
To serve, slice each piece of French toast in half and sprinkle with powdered sugar and chocolate morsels.