Made with three types of cheeses and a little bit of “everything” else, this holiday cheese ball recipe is a party guest favorite. This recipe makes two cheese balls, one to serve now and another to share.
This week, my husband and I are both invited to separate “bring-a-dish” holiday events, and we’re sure not interested in cooking twice.
Who has time for complicated kitchen shenanigans this busy time of year?
So, I’m making this easy cheese ball recipe — because it’s everybody’s favorite and it makes two party-sized cheese balls.
Add a box of crackers and a bottle of wine, and you’re party ready.Made with 3 cheeses & a bit of 'everything' else, this homemade cheese ball recipe crowd pleaser!Click To Tweet
With so many holiday obligations, why make things hard on yourself with complicated recipes and party plans? A simple recipe like this leaves time for the more important aspects of the holiday season… like sharing fun meals, memories and wine with special friends and family.
My friend, Amy, shared this cheese ball recipe with me 15 years ago after she brought it for the annual “Goodie Day” celebration at our office. Goodie Day was a big deal at the newspaper where we worked, and this cheese ball with everything was always one of the most-requested recipes. And there were never any leftovers at the end of the day.
We invited some old newspaper friends and others over for a casual Christmas get-together recently. Amy’s cheese ball made the menu lineup for several reasons:
- It’s simple and quick to make
- It’s darn tasty
- It’s always popular
- It looks festive
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups grated Swiss cheese
- Few dashes of hot sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- ¼ cup chopped white or yellow onion
- 10 slices of bacon, crumbled
- ½ cup pecan pieces
- 2-3 Tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- Mix cream cheese, shredded cheeses, sour cream, hot sauce, relish, onion and half the bacon together.
- Using wax paper, roll into two balls and refrigerate, covered, until firm.
- Remove from the refrigerator and coat in a mixture of remaining bacon crumbles, pecans, parsley and poppy seeds.
- Refrigerate several hours.
- Serve at room temperature with crackers.
During the holidays, I love to keep delicious appetizers like this cheese ball on hand to serve at those impromptu get-togethers with friends and family.
I also stock up on my favorite Gallo Family Vineyard Wines varietals, like Cabernet Sauvignon and Moscato, for effortless entertaining.
Visit Gallo Family Wines to find out where to buy these varietals and others. Also, be sure to visit the Gallo Family Vineyards Facebook for more holiday entertaining ideas. And don’t forget to pin the cheese ball recipe.