I always loved when my mom made a lemon meringue pie when I was growing up. But I wasn’t in it only for the dessert.
I used to love scraping the leftover sweetened condensed milk out of the can and licking the spoon. Heavenly!
This frozen lemonade recipe is a refreshing spring and summertime treat. Tangy and sweet, the flavor will remind you of lemon meringue pie. If you like Chick-fil-a’s frosted lemonade, you’ll love this make-at-home version.
It’s a little bit like an Orange Julius, but with a lemony kick.
Most frosted, frozen lemonade recipes use ice cream as a base, but not this one. The secret here is sweetened condensed milk! Please tell me I’m not the only one who thinks sweetened condensed milk is the nectar of the gods! (And if I’m being honest with you, I still like scraping the leftovers from the can when I’m baking. And sometimes I share with my kid!)
While sweetened condensed milk is a staple in baking and desserts, it’s also great in drinks. (Try some swirled in your coffee and let me know what you think!)
Get your spoons ready — it’s time to whip up some sweet and tart frozen lemonade.
- 1 can lemonade frozen concentrate
- 1 cup milk
- ½ can (7 ounces) sweetened condensed milk (or more or less to taste)
- 2-3 cups crushed ice
- grated lemon zest
- whipped cream
- In a blender, combine lemonade concentrate, milk and enough ice to reach a creamy, thick frozen consistency.
- Add sweetened condensed milk, to taste, and blend until incorporated. Use less for a tart drink and add more for a sweeter drink.
- Pour into a frosted glass and garnish with whipped cream and grated lemon zest.
This recipe will make six to eight frosty drinks.
You can freeze what you don’t use immediately. It freezes to a creamy, sorbet-like consistency that you can eat with a spoon. I think I may like it even better that way!
Looking for more ways to shake up dessert?
Try this decadent Pumpkin Pie Milkshake that has a slice of pie mixed in!
And here’s another frozen lemonade recipe. This tropical version is fruity and spike with homemade pineapple-infused rum.