Learn the designer trick to calculate what size chandelier to hang in a home with 10 foot ceilings. This roundup includes a selection of dozens of beautiful and on-trend chandeliers for 10 foot ceilings.
If you’re lucky enough to have 10 foot ceilings in your home, you have a lot of flexibility and options when it comes to lighting. Ten foot ceilings are tall enough to accommodate larger statement lights without any clearance issues.
If you haven’t checked out my chandelier measuring guide, you must. It will save you a lot of headaches and costly mistakes as you buy lighting for your home. It includes designer tips, printable worksheets and formulas you can use to calculate the ideal chandelier dimensions and hanging height for your space.
The guide is great companion to this post, where I’ve sourced dozens of beautiful chandeliers that will work if your home has 10 foot ceilings.
Buy one of these and you won’t have to worry that the light isn’t the right scale or that someone might hit their head when they walk under it.
If you ceilings are a different height, check out one of these posts instead:
This post may contain affiliate links. AttaGirlSays.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure policy here.
What size chandelier do I need for 10 foot ceilings?
Proper scale is very important when buying lighting. You don’t want a chandelier that is too small or one that is so large that it overwhelms the space.
The trend these days is to opt for larger lighting that makes a statement. Following these rules, you will hit the sweet spot:
- If you have ceilings that are 10 feet or higher, install a chandelier so it hangs at the sweet spot of 7 feet, 6 inches from the floor.
- Designers typically recommend allowing 2 ½ inches to 3 inches of chandelier for each foot of ceiling height.
- For 10 foot ceilings, choose a chandelier that is between 25 inches and 30 inches tall, including the canopy, light and chain.
If you’re hanging a light over something, such as a table, bed or an island, you may be able to use a taller light since you don’t have to worry about head clearance. But you still want to allow for proper spacing between the light and tabletop or island.
I’ve found dozens of chandeliers that are perfect size range for 10 foot ceilings. Many of these lights have extendable chains so they may also work for rooms with taller ceilings.
Before buying any chandelier from this list, please:
- Measure height of your ceilings. While nine foot is the standard for ceilings in modern construction, ceilings may be lower on upper levels or in some rooms. Don’t assume all the ceilings in your home are the same height.
- Double check the manufacturer’s specification and measurments to make sure the chandelier will work for your space.
- Account for features such as coffered or tray ceilings.
- Check the dimensions of your room and use this formula to make sure the scale of the light is right.
Manufacturers typically list the mininum hanging height and maximum hanging height in the product specifications. Some also include illustrations with measurements. I recommend double checking those before buying any light fixture.
Chandeliers for 10 Foot Ceilings
Browse the shoppable lookbook below for a selection of chandeliers for homes with 10-foot ceilings.
Clicking on a photo will take you to the retailer’s website for more information.
For even more chandeliers for 10 foot ceilings, visit my Amazon shopping list or keep scrolling for a few of my favorites.
Printable Chandelier Guide & Worksheets
Need more help measuring for lighting in your home? Enter your information below to receive the printable chandelier guide with worksheets.
More Lighting Tips & DIYs
Looking to make over the lighting in your home? You may enjoy these other helpful posts:
- Chandelier Measuring & Hanging Guide
- How to Dye Chandelier Shades
- DIY Geometric Pendant Light Fixture
- How to Paint a Ceiling Medallion