This is a sponsored post for SheSpeaks/Rubbermaid. Read my full disclosure policy here.
This delicious, light and healthy grilled chicken salad celebrates the bounty of spring with a homemade fruit salsa and tangy poppy seed dressing.
It’s farmer’s market season, spring harvest and the beginning of strawberry season. So our fridge is bursting with fresh fruits, greens and other local farm-grown vegetables.
To celebrate the bounty of the season, I whipped up this healthy grilled chicken salad topped with homemade fruit salsa and poppy seed dressing. It was a perfect dinner at the end of a hot day.
You’re going to love this simple recipe.
Beautiful, ripe local strawberries are the star of this dish, supported by a cast of plump blueberries, tangy kiwi and crushed pineapple.
Whenever fresh fruit is in season, I try to pick and buy as much as I can. Because nothing beats local fruit, picked ripe from the vine.
But I know the season is fleeting. By the end of May, local strawberries will be gone.
I’m extending strawberry season and keeping all my produce fresher longer with the Rubbermaid FreshWorks Produce Saver storage containers. Available in three sizes, FreshWorks containers uses patented FreshVentTM technology to keep produce fresher up to 80 percent longer* than traditional produce packaging.
The vented lid regulates the flow of oxygen and carbon dioxide to create the optimal environment so produce stays nearly as fresh as the day it was picked, while a tray in the bottom of each container helps reduce moisture and spoilage.
Now let’s dig into that salad.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- feta cheese
- 2 cups strawberries, diced
- 2 kiwi, peeled and diced
- 1 pint blueberries
- ¼ cup crushed pineapple, drained
- juice of ½ lemon
Poppy Seed Dressing
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
- Wrap chicken breasts in plastic and pound until they are about 1-inch thick. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place into a bag.
- Whisk together and lemon juice and olive oil and pour over the chicken. Seal the bag, toss to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or several hours.
- While the chicken is marinating, dice the strawberries and kiwi.
- Combine with other fruit and the juice of juice of half a lemon. Stir to combine the combine and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To make the poppy seed dressing, in a nonreactive bowl, pour vinegar over sugar. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Mix in salt, mustard and poppy seeds.
- In a measuring cup, combine olive oil and canola oil.
- Slowly drizzle oil into the vinegar mixture, mixing to emulsify.
- Finally, whisk in mayonnaise.
- Preheat grill to medium. Add chicken and grill, a few minutes on each side, until cooked through.
- Remove chicken from plate and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing
- Prepare salads by filling a plate or bowl with spring greens. Top with 4 ounces of chicken and fruit salsa.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese, if desired, and dress with poppy seed dressing
How’s that for a fresh, in-season dinner? (Or lunch?)
*Based on strawberries in FreshWorks containers vs. store packaging at day 21.
*Based on strawberries in FreshWorks™ containers vs. store packaging. Results may vary depending upon produce and use.