hot chocolate Ice cream is a frosty treat that is good all year long! This decadent no-churn dessert is like a milkshake and a mug of hot cocoa rolled into one.
If you like drinking hot cocoa in the winter, you have to try this recipe for frozen hot chocolate ice cream.
It’s a decadent, frosty treat that is good all year long — no matter the season or the weather.
It’s usually still pretty warm here in North Carolina when we’re decorating for Christmas .So we never get to don our Christmas sweaters and sip hot cocoa while wer’e decking the halls. But this hot chocolate ice cream recipe is warm weather and holiday approved!
This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. If you make a purchase based on my referral, I earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.
This hot chocolate dessert is so much easier to make than traditional homemade ice cream. No special equipment needed — just a hand mixer, a freezer and patience.
Of course, if you want to speed things along, you can use a countertop electric ice cream maker.
You can scroll to the end of this post for the full recipe and ingredient list. But you may want to keep reading for more tips on how to hot chocolate ice cream.
To Make hot cocoa ice cream, You Will Need:
- Hot chocolate mix – Any store-bought packets will work, including speciality flavors. We’re big fans of Hershey’s, Ghiardelli or Swiss Miss Dark Chocolate — or you may want to try one of these highly rated mixes.
- Cream cheese – For best results and the creamiest ice cream, use full-fall cream cheese.
- Heavy whipping cream – It’s rich, but you’ll need this for creamy ice cream.
- Sugar – While the powdered beverage mix is sweetened, you will need a small amount of granulated sugar to sweeten the hot chocolate ice cream.
- Vanilla – Choose a high-quality vanilla for the best flavor.
- Marshmallows – Use mini marshmallows for this recipe. Try peppermint marshmallows or another flavor for a fun twist.
- Chocolate chips or candy melts – Melt these to drizzle over the top of the ice cream.
- Hand mixer – An electric hand mixer is all you need to whip up this recipe, although you can use a stand mixer, as well.
- Loaf pan – A metal loaf pan works best, but you can also use a freezer-safe glass pan.
- Electric ice cream maker (optional) — If you want the ice cream to set up quicker than overnight, use a countertop ice cream maker.
How to Make Hot Chocolate Ice Cream
- Begin by placing the hot chocolate mix, cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and half of the whipping cream in a large bowl.
- Whip until peaks begin to form.
- Then add the remaining whipping cream and mini marshmallows.
- Mix again, until peaks form.
- Pour into a loaf pan.
- Top with more marshmallows and melted chocolate, then freeze overnight.
So simple, and so yummy!
The video below shows just how easy it is!
There are so many different flavors of hot chocolate ice cream you can make using this recipe as a base.
- salted caramel
- red velvet
- mint chocolate
- white chocolate
You can also use flavored marshmallows and different types of chocolate or candy melts for the toppings. You can even add nuts. Some of these Smashmallow flavors would be amazing in this recipe.
More Dessert Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may like these other desserts.
- Chocoalte Dipped Peppermint Christmas Candy
- S’mores Chocolate Covered Marshmallows
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Sauce
If you try Hot Chocolate Ice Cream or any recipe on Atta Girl Says, please come back and share your 5-star rating in the comments below! I appreciate it, and my readers do, too!
A creamy and decadent dessert that tastes like a milkshake and a mug of hot cocoa rolled into one.
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 packets hot chocolate mix
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cups mini marshmallows
- Melted chocolate candy melts for topping
- 1/3 cup Mini marshmallows for topping
Place softened cream cheese, 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, sugar, hot chocolate mix and vanilla into a large bowl.
Mix until peaks begin to form.
Add the remanining cup of heavy whipping cream and 3/4 cup of mini marshmallows.
Mix again until peaks begin to form.
Pour into a pan.
Top with melted chocolate and mini marshmallows.
Freeze overnight until set.
Serve and enjoy!