This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Tyson®. The opinions and text are all mine. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Hello early mornings, school routines, carpool lines, homework, busy afternoons and hectic dinner hours. 180 nights of “What am I going to feed these people?”
Well, I can help with that.
This mostly homemade chicken fajitas recipe is as good as what you’ll get at your favorite Mexican restaurant and just as quick, too, because it’s essentially heat and eat.
What’s the secret?
Tyson® Grilled and Ready® Chicken Breast Strips, which I found in the freezer section at Walmart. They’re great when you want to add protein to recipes, but don’t have the time to cook from scratch. The fully cooked strips are 97 percent fat free, 100 percent all-natural and made with all-white meat. In addition to these fajitas, I plan to use them for salads, pasta dishes and for my son’s lunchbox, as another option besides mac and cheese, chicken nuggets and tenders.
We’re really trying to make an effort to eat at home more often and avoid unplanned dinners out because we’re too tired at the end of the day to cook from scratch.
My husband and I spent some time recently preparing some homemade freezer meals that we can pull out on busy nights. But we’re also keeping a stock of meal-ready ingredients, like these chicken strips, in the freezer and pantry.
These mostly homemade fajitas are made with fresh produce (some of it from our garden) and a homemade seasoning mix. Make extra of the seasoning mix and store it in a mason jar in your pantry, and you’ll never buy the prepackaged stuff again.
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 package Tyson® Grilled and Ready® Chicken Breast Strips
- 1 14-ounce can sliced, stewed tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Flour tortillas
- In a bowl or jar, combine cornstarch, chili powder, salt, paprika, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and ground cumin. Stir to combine.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Saute peppers and onions for 3 minutes, then add chicken strips to the pan.
- Cook for 3 to 5 minutes more, until chicken is heated through.
- Add sliced, stewed tomatoes, seasoning mix and water, and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, until sauce thickens.
- Serve on flour tortillas with toppings, such as lettuce, tomatoes, shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream and guacamole.
These fajitas were a hit, and the recipe makes enough for leftovers for our family. So that’s two nights of dinner done.
Tyson® Grilled and Ready® Chicken Breast Strips aren’t just a great dinner shortcut and an effortless way to make healthy home-cooked meals on busy school nights. When you buy them and other specially marked packages of Tyson® products, you can support your local schools through the Tyson Project A+™ program.
Just clip and collect Tyson Project A+™ labels from Tyson® participating packages. For every label submitted, Tyson will give the school cash to spend on whatever it needs. Click to learn more about the program and nominate your local school to start collecting labels and raising money.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Tyson. The opinions and text are all mine.