If you enjoy a classic caprese salad, you will love this easy ricotta toast recipe, made with oven-roasted tomatoes, garlic and basil. It makes a wonderful appetizer for parties, and it’s also a great summertime lunch or light dinner.
I always plant way too many tomatoes for our family of three, but we always seem to find a way delicious ways to eat them or preserve them before the season is over. I mean, who can say no to a gourmet BLT sandwich with candied bacon or homemade pesto pasto salad?
Here’s another easy tomato recipe that’s going on repeat this summer.
This caprese-style ricotta sourdough toast, made with oven roasted cherry or grape tomatoes, is a new favorite. Serve it on sourdough toast for a quick, fresh protein-packed lunch, light dinner or healthy snack. Or use it as a topping for crostini and serve as an appetizer.
This post may contain affiliate links. AttaGirlSays.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure policy here.
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This is the perfect savory recipe to make on those hot summer days when you don’t feel like standing in front of the stove and cooking.
The prep work is minimal — 5 minutes max. Just throw the tomatoes, garlic and basil in a baking dish with a little olive oil and seasonings and roast.
If you have any leftover tomato topping, it can be saved in the fridge to use on more caprese ricotta toast or spread over grilled chicken. The leftover infused oil and garlic from the roasting pan can be used to make vinaigrette salad dressing or marinade.
Want to see a brief overview of the process before diving into the recipe? Watch my web story on how to make oven roasted tomatoes for ricotta toast.
🥘 Ingredients for Caprese Ricotta Toast
To make this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- olive oil
- grape or cherry tomatoes
- fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- sourdough bread
- ricotta cheese
- shallot or red onion
See recipe card for quantities.
🔪 How to Make Oven Roasted Tomatoes
While the oven is preheating, combine tomatoes, cloves garlic and a few sliced basil leaves in a baking dish.
Toss with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Roast for at 400 ℉ until the tomatoes burst, about 20 minutes.
Spread bread slices with olive oil and toast until golden brown.
Once the toast has cooled, top with a layer of ricotta cheese and roasted tomatoes. You can used whipped ricotta cheese or ricotta right out of the container.
Drizzle lightly with olive oil from the roasting pan, if preferred. You can also drizzle with balsamic glaze or vinegar for that true caprese flavor.
Garnish the ricotta toast with thinly sliced shallots, basil leaves and more salt and pepper, to taste.
Hint: If you prefer a more garlicky topping, mince or dice the garlic before roasting instead of using whole cloves. Otherwise, remove the whole cloves after roasting and just use the tomatoes on the toast.
This recipe can easily to customized to your personal taste or to what is in season in your garden.
- You can use other herbs, including oregano, parsley, cilantro, thyme or chives, as a fresh garnish on the ricotta toast.
- Substitute red onion for the shallots, or omit it from the recipe.
- You can make this recipe using grape, cherry or roma tomatoes. You may want to slice larger tomatoes in half before roasting.
If you have leftovers, drain off the excess liquid and store the tomatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Save the reserved olive oil and garlic in a jar in the refrigerator to be used to make vinaigrettes for marinates.
More Summertime Recipes
If you liked this recipe, you may also enjoy these summertime favorites.
- Gourmet BLT Sandwiches with Candied Bacon
- Tomato Pesto Pasta Salad
- Easy Chicken Salad Recipe
- Grilled Sandwich Recipes
- Cucumber Sandwiches with Bendecitine Spread
Pin This! Caprese Ricotta Toast with Roasted Tomatoes
🎥 Recipe Card & Video
Roasted Tomato & Garlic Ricotta Toast
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil plus more for toast
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 4-6 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 shallot sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- Basalmic vinegar or balsamic glaze (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine tomatoes, garlic and a few chopped basil leaves in a baking dish and toss with 2 Tablespoons of olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes or until the tomatoes burst.
- Brush olive oil onto bread slices and toast until golden brown.
- Once cool, spread the toasted bread with ricotta, and top with tomatoes.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil from the roasting pan, if preferred. You can also drizzle with balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze.
- Garnish with shallot, basil, and salt and pepper, to taste.