Disclosure: This post is a sponsored post, and it contains affiliate links. I only recommend products and companies I love. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Head to the beach or pool in style this summer. Learn how to make custom DIY bow flip flops to match your favorite swimsuit, beach bag or stainless steel Tervis tumbler.
What’s in your beach bag?
I don’t know about you, but when I head to the beach or the pool, I always pack a few essentials.
Sunscreen, naturally, plus some conditioner for my hair so it doesn’t fry or turn green from the chlorine. A big beach towel and something to read. Something to snack on, too, and my insulated stainless Tervis tumbler to keep what I’m sipping ice cold.
And, of course, some cute flip flops for crossing the hot sand or pool deck!
I DIYed this cute pair of bow flip flops to match my new Tervis tumbler. I was so happy to find ribbon to match the anchor pattern on the stainless steel tumbler. The aqua color also matches my swimsuit.
Supplies for DIY Bow Flip Flops
If you want to dress up your own cheap flip flops, you just need a few supplies.
- Grosgrain ribbon (here are some pretty nautical options)
- flip flops
- Fabric Fusion Glue
- Quick-Dry Tacky Glue
Instructions for DIY Bow Flip Flops
1) Begin by gluing ribbon to the bottom of the plastic strap on one side of the flip flop. Use clothespins to hold the ribbon in place until the quick-drying tacky glue has dried.
2) Continue wrapping grosgrain ribbon tightly around the strap, over the toe piece and continuing down the other strap. Use clothespins to hold ribbon securely as you work.
3) Continue working to the end of the second strap. Trim ribbon and secure to the inside of the shoe strap using quick-drying glue. Use a clothespin to hold it in place until the glue dries.
4) While the flip flops dry, assemble the bows. Cut a two equal lengths of ribbon and form two loop, securing the ends with Fabric Fusion Glue. If you’re making a layered bow, repeat with a thinner grosgrain ribbon.
5) Once the loops have dried, pinch the center into a bow shape, and apply glue to the pleats. Use a clothespin to hold the bow shape while the glue dries. Repeat with the smaller ribbon. Allow all bows to dry completely.
6) Assemble the bows by stacking the smaller bow on top of the larger one. Wrap a short piece of ribbon around the center of the two bows and secure on the back with fabric glue. Use a clothespin to hold in place while the glue dries.
7) Once the bows have dried, use fabric fusion or quick-dry glue to attach them to the flip flops. Hold in place with clothespins until dried.
I got to try out these bow flip flops and the new Tervis Stainless Collection on our recent beach trip.
It doesn’t get much better than a beautiful ocean view, toes in the sand and a cold drink in hand!
Tervis has recently introduced a collection of stainless steel tumblers in a variety of cute designs that are great for the beach, the pool or tailgating. Available in 20-ounce and 30-ounce sizes, these insulated tumblers keep drinks ice cold for 24 hours or piping hot for eight hours.
The stainless steel tumblers come in a variety of designs: dragonflies, anchors, seahorses and starfish flamingos and many more. You can also customize the Tervis stainless tumblers with your own photos or designs, or buy tumblers featuring your favorite licensed brands and sports teams.
Beyond the cute designs, I love that these tumblers have lids that close, You definitely need that on the beach to keep the sand out of your drink!
Click the logo below to view the entire Tervis product line, including the stainless steel collection.
For more beachy craft ideas, check out these projects: