These cream cheese wontons, flavored with sweet and spicy pepper jelly, are a delicious party appetizer that takes no time at all to make.
It always makes me feel fancy when I’m at an event and servers come around with bite-sized appetizers on a tray.
I could totally see these cream cheese wontons with pepper jelly being served at a fancy shindig. They’d be perfect for an Oscars party!
These cream cheese wontons are essentially the fancied-up version of another go-to-party staple — a block of cream cheese, topped with a few tablespoons of pepper jelly and served with crackers.
Simple, but delicious.
I love serving these alongside my famous pork fried wontons.
You start with wonton wrappers, which are similar to egg roll wrappers, and a mini muffin pan. You can find the wonton wrappers in the produce section of your local grocery store.
Use your fingers, or a nifty wooden tart tamper, to press the wonton wrapper into the ungreased mini muffin pan.
Then pop them in a 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned.
Allow to cool and remove from the muffin pan.
To make the filling, combine cream cheese with pepper jelly. You can use store-bought pepper jelly, but I recommend my homemade pepper jelly recipe. It’s sweet and spicy, and it’s easy to make. (It makes a great homemade gift for the holidays, too.)
The ratio of pepper jelly to cream cheese is a personal preference, depending on how spicy you want your wontons to be. I recommend 2 or 3 Tablespoons per four ounces of cream cheese.
You can make the wonton cups ahead of time, but I wouldn’t add the cream cheese mixture until just before serving. It’s also personal preference how much cream cheese filling you add to each wonton cup.
You can add a garnish of shredded carrots, green or red bell peppers or a jalapeno if you’re feeling especially spicy.
Here’s the complete recipe:
- wonton wrappers
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2-3 Tablespoons of pepper jelly, or more to taste
- shredded carrot, jalapeno slices or chopped bell pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a tart tamper to press wonton wrappers into mini muffin tins. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool, then gently remove the wonton cups from the muffin tin.
- Using a mixer or a whisk, whip together 4 ounces of cream cheese and 2 or 3 tablespoons of pepper jelly until smooth.
- Just before serving, spoon cream cheese mixture into wonton cups and garnish with shredded carrots, jalapeno slices or chopped bell pepper.
Be sure to check out these recipes: