Try this Italian twist on the traditional slow cooker pot roast recipe. This dish, which is served over penne pasta, is bursting with Italian flavors, including garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and roasted red peppers.
Have you ever had a restaurant meal you can’t get out of your head?
For weeks now, I’ve been thinking about a delicious Italian Pot Roast I had at our neighborhood pizza joint.
Pot roast is not the sort of thing I normally order when I go out for Italian since I love traditional pasta dishes. But the Italian Pot Roast was on special, and it sounded different and good and flavorful. So, I ordered it…
And I’ve been dreaming about making an at-home version ever since.
Italian Pot Roast includes many of your traditional pot roast ingredients, with the addition of Italian flavors and lots of garlic. Then it’s served over penne pasta.
Or at least that’s the version I was trying to recreate from my restaurant experience.
My recipe is a mashup of several Italian Pot Roast recipes I found online, from The Pioneer Woman, Rachael Ray, Better Homes & Gardens, and Southern Living, plus ingredients and flavors I remembered from the restaurant meal.
Because pot roast is best when it’s cooked all day, I made my version in the slow cooker. As you can see, it looks like the Italian flag when you toss everything into the pot.
When it’s done, it just looks plain yummy! Comfort food at its best!
Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast Recipe
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 16 ounces baby carrots
- 1 yellow onion quartered
- 2½ lbs chuck roast
- 6 cloves of garlic peeled
- 1 jar roasted red peppers sliced (2 whole peppers)
- 4-6 Tablespoons sundried tomatoes chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- salt and peper to taste
- 3-4 cups beef broth
- 16 ounces penne pasta
- Place sliced mushrooms, carrots and onion in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Season the beef on both sides with salt and pepper and place on top of the vegetables.
- Top beef with garlic, roasted red peppers, sundried tomatoes and chopped parsley
- Add broth and spices; season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, until beef is tender and falling apart.
- Near the end of the cooking time, prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- Serve pot roast, vegetables and sauce over penne noodles.
If you’re looking for more comfort food or recipes to make in your slow cooker, you might enjoy these family favorites of ours.
Yvonne @ StoneGable
Oh, Amy! This is just the best post!!! I adore these kinds of stick to your ribs, easy to make recipes!!!! Thanks so much for sharing them. You bet they will be featured on ON THE MENU!
How’s Jackson! Let’s talk! xo to all!
Marisa Franca @ All Our Way
Mish Mash is GREAT! That is the way we come up with a lot of recipes. We take a look at the ingredients and judge which ones we like ( or have in the inventory) and go from there. This sounds really good. I don’t usually think of Italian and pot roast but it sounds really good especially since the cool weather has come upon us. Thank you for inspiring me for a different Italian meal 🙂