Recent text message from my husband: “Do you want to win a chili cook-off?”
Yep, we’re competitive. We’re confident. We’re brash. And with a recipe like my sweet and spicy chili, we can’t lose!
Especially if we bring a skillet of this cheesy green chile cornbread to serve with it! (I play to win!)
Now, this isn’t your ordinary cornbread recipe. (Just like mine isn’t your ordinary chili recipe.)
This particular cornbread recipe includes bacon, sauteed onions and peppers and rich buttermilk, and it’s loaded with cheese!
And you want to make it in a well-seasoned cast iron skillet.
No muffin tins or glass baking dish can stand up to a recipe this hearty!
- 4 slices bacon
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup cooked corn, drained
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles, drained
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Fry bacon until crisp. Drain and cool on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Saute onions and bell pepper in bacon grease for a few minutes, until wilted. Set aside
- Grease a 10-inch skillet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add buttermilk and eggs and stir until blended.
- Add cooked onion and bell pepper (including the drippings), corn, chiles and crumbled bacon.
- Mix completely and transfer half the mixture to the skillet. Top with half the cheese and spoon on the remaining cornbread batter.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Slice into wedges and serve with chili, soup or beans.
Make up a batch and be sure to serve it with my award-winning chili!